Saturday, November 15, 2008

Succeeding within the box

"When we will get more tools and better systems"
Most of us have heard the saying "Creativity is thinking outside the box". There's alot of truth in that, but to me, the true creativity is this : Succeeding within the box.
Hitting targets, reaching goals, doing the job well and making a difference with what we already have is the QBQ way. Every organization has imperfect systems and finite resources. We may wish we had newer tools, better systems, more people and bigger bugets. But thinking too much about what we'd like to have is another cause of procrastination. Managers, for example, won't take their group through team-building until "all the right people are in place" . Individuals won't make a decision until they have all the information or take action until all the questions are answered.
Ironically, suceeding with what have makes us more likely to get the things we wanted in the first place. Listen to the wisdom of Deb Weber of State Farm Insurance: "I'll find that every time I do the job with the tools I have, I tend to receive more tools", Its a truth: We sow, we reap.
Focusing on what we don't have is a waste of time and energy. To really make a difference, let's instead focus our energy on succeeding within the box. Let's ask the QBQ "How can I achieve with the resources I already have?"
PS:"This is one post that I print and keep on my desk since 2003, from the time Johnny Tsang shared this with me, an extract from John G Miller's writing. By the way, QBQ means- The Questions behind the Question.

No comments: