I wanted the first topic of the year to be something really positive and motivating..and hence waited for 10 long days but much of the current affairs do not seem to be encouraging me to do so... Hence I thought its time to dive deep into whats best around me in the neighbourhood...and Yes...Being in the suburbs of Chennai, what best could I begin with than the beautiful temples and music festivals:
Here is my quick list of temples in and around Nanganallur, for those of you, who have two things in common- one ardent devotion towards idol worship and second is interest in the beautiful architectural excellence from our good old days and sculptures that speak volumes of human history.
1. Nanganallur Means Anjaneya Temple. Vishwaroop Anjaneya stands tall as the testimony of courage, beliefs and happiness in the great idol worship, its around 2 miles from the Palavanthangal/ Nanganallur Railway Station. You can visit the site
http://www.anjaneyaswami.com/index.asp for full details
2. Varasidhi Vinayagar Temple:- Located at Ram Nagar 2nd Street,. is said to be one of the oldest temples which had Kanchi Periyavar staying in the temple during his visits to Nanganallur.
3. Sri Lakshmi Haygreevar Temple:- Hayagreevar said to be the Lord of Knowledge and Learning, this temple which is very close to Varasidhi Vinayagar temple is one of rarest Haygreevar temples in Tamil Nadu
4. Sri Guruvayur appan temple:- Beautiful temple in Kerala style and very close to the above two temples having the main deity Guruvayurappan almost similar to the Lord in Guruvayoor. Goddess Bhagavathi is a beautiful part of this temple along with sanidanams for Ayyapan and Prasanna Vinayaka along with Navagrahas. This temple is also famous for "Anna Prasanam" functions to the little children
5. Sri Raghavendra Temple:- Temple is reknowned as Dakshina Mantralayam and is an abode of peace and simpleness and the beautiful image of Lord Raghavendra in the mandap opposite to the temple is also a must see. This temple is very close to Anjaneyar temple
6. Sri Satya Sai Baba Temple:- This temple is just at the end of the road of Raghavendra temple and the temple is developed by local devotees who join to sing Baba bhajans and spread the message of Dharma. Thursdays 7 pm is the best time one can really enjoy the fullness of this temple
7. Sri Ayyappan Temple:- To me personally, this temple is very close to my heart. Lord Ayyappan here look almost like in Sabarimala, uncrowded and peaceful temple just on the back side of the Anjaneyar temple. It is said that no where in the world, there are two powerful Bharmachari swami's standing back to back and giving blessing to devotees in the world. It is said that visiting both Ayyappan and Anjaneyar temples for 9 weeks on saturdays will ward of any kind of evil and unpleasantnesses in life.. trust me, it is truth.
8. Sri Lakshmi Narasimhan Temple:- Walkable distance from Ayyapan and Ajaneyar temples is the beautiful new temple of Lord Lakshmi Narasimhan. The pleasant Narasimhan with his consort on the lap gives you all blessings and its is believed that Lakshmi Narasimha always blesses for Runa Vimochanam. Means, we get rid of our loans, here the great context of our bondages with people, materialistic things and life I guess. Real beautiful temple that you should not miss seeing. It is in 24th Street of TillagangaNagar.
9. Karumani Amman Temple:- This is the old temple which is on the adjacent side of Lakshmi Narasimhan temple and facing the new bridge connecting velacheri..The goddess is beautiful here and adjacently we have Lord Balaji blessing as you enter the temple
10. Sri Raja Rajeshwari Temple and sri Lakshmi satyanarayana perumal temple:- Nanganallur Raja rajeshwari is famous since old days and because of this temple's goddess "Nangai"..the area got its name as Nanganallur. The approach roads are bad but plan to park your vehicles at distance and walk to the beauty of the godess with Kumkumam in the first floor of the temple. 16 steps and every step is adored with one form of the goddess and its nice to visit Perumal after Amman darshan in the ground floor adjascent Satyanarayan swami temple,.where goddess Lakshmi who is present on the chest of Satyanarayan swami.
11. Sri Ardhanadeeswaran and Durgai Temple:- This temple is located in the main market place of Nanganallur. This temple is called as KethuStalam and the near by temple tank is said to be where the idol of Ardhanadeeswarar was found by Paramcharya. Durgai amman is beautiful and pleasant in this temple and called as "Sarvapalla Nayaki" means the goddess who gives everything.
12. Dharmlingeswaran Temple:- This temple is located in south Nanganallur and is said to be the oldest temple in the area. Build during Pallava dynasty, more than 1000 years old, this temple is an indication of a established civilization during good olden days as well in Nanganallur,. Lord Dhanmeswar was discovered during a construction and the temple was later renovated and worshiped.
13. Navaneetha Krishnan and Lakshmi Narasimhar temple - This temple is an old one dated to 8th century and beautiful for its architecture. The main sanctum, facing east enshrines the imposing image of the principal Deity, Lord Lakshmi Narasimha. The other murtis, which adorned the beautiful main sanctum are those of Lord Pradosha Narasimha, for whom special worship is performed during every pradosha and Sri Chakrattazhvar (Sudarsana). Also seen here are images of Sri Vishvaksena, Svami Nammazhvar, Sri Ramanuja and Sri Vedanta Desika. An interesting and rare architectural feature of this sanctum is a circular shaped pillar which resembles a stambha from which Lord Narisimha emerged to protect His child-devotee Prahlada.
14. Oppliappan Temple:- This temple is the oldest temple for Oppliappan in Madipakkam and the main deity is Lord Rama in Pattabishekam rupam.
15. Sri Gayathri Devi Temple and Mother and Aurobindo Centre:- Gayathri devi temple is in the complex of the Mother Centre for Meditation and with Vinayagar and Gayathri devi.
Close to Puzhithivakam late is the beautiful meditation centre of Mother of Pondicherry. Similar to Pondy, the serenity of the silence, flowers and incense smell, makes the place vibrate in a silence where only our inner consciousness emerges with peace and contentment.
16. Visa Anjaneyar:- This is the small Anjaneyar temple very close to Modern school in Nanganallur, where people believe that prayers at this temple brings them opportunties abroad :-) Sounds funny, but its again , believes and thats turn true I guess...so try your luck.
Past weekend was amazing with visits to some of these temples taking my mom on her spiritual tour of Nanganallur and same time trying to imbide values of worship, faith and rituals in my little one... Enjoy your temple visits. There can be many more that I am not aware of and would like readers to share information on them with me in comments.