Friday, October 10, 2008

Fatima Oldage Home- A Shelter for the autumn leaves

With a heavy heart went in search of the Fatima Trust and Oldage Home in Thoraipakkam in Chennai, after knowing that one of my old aunt who is ailing, bedridden and counting days is moved to this oldage home. First time in life, I felt so useless to myself, for I could not help the situation for her. I cursed myself for having little or no possibility to take care of her bringing her home and was silently in tears as we were nearing the place. Sometimes though our hearts ache and urge for making things differently, our unfortunate circumstances do not support our thoughts. My situation was very much the same, for this aunt was widowed at a very young age, had no children, and worked as a school teacher and retired, and she had been very close to me as a child. I stood with shame and helplessness for a moment.
But my feelings got a better solace as I stepped inside. The place is well maintained, and inmates are well taken care of by providing appropriate diet on time, medical care being provided, and the caretaker taking full efforts to make the place a real home. Thankfully I found that people found company in each other and lot many returned my smile with real happiness to see a visitor. Almost 70% of the inmates were sick and needed medical attention and timely care. I was amazed to see an old freedom fighter having all his photos, certificates and memories hanging in his room and was taken by awe to see our National Flag near his pillow. Inadvertently I went ahead to salute him with pride. Then I took few minutes to talk to the care-taker and discuss about the welfare of my aunt. Talking to her I felt, that she is in the safe hands of a person who have abundant care and love for her fellow human beings. I was shocked to hear that most of the inmates want the final journey to be made from the home and the home also takes care of doing this most pious responsibility. I had no words. All I could do is stand up and put both my hands together in salutation to the care-taker and walk ahead without looking back.....
On the way back, glad my husband told me that we would one day run such an institution when both time and money permits and do our best back to the society. I did not reply him. Tears flooded my eyes and thoughts!!!