Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Broken Bridge - Part 2

Asha and me returned home after a long day. The day was full of various emotions and pain. I stood there among hundreds of people, friends, associates, well-wishers and family when she was getting ready for her final journey. The end is only to the mortal remains of a human being who transformed lives around her. Along with me, I have heard people who kept on telling that there can be no death to the person who lives in the thoughts of others. May be this is what is called Atma (The Soul) and its eternity. I think this tragedy had made me give myself a spiritual look, which otherwise was a distant activity in my life.
All through the 24 hours that passed, Asha did not speak to me. I could see a different pain in her eyes. A look that only scared me more. I thought it is natural when a dear one passes away. Did not want to think anything more, and I just went and tried to catch up a quick sleep.
After couple of days, everything started to become normal. Kids started to go to school, and Asha as usual started to become busy at home. I had no rhyme or reason to be away from work. So I called Ram and packed myself to work.
After 3 days of being away, I had loads of tasks to attend. Meetings that got post phoned, proposals that are pending from review, and outlook was over pouring with the mails. By the time I realised that I am hungry, it was 4 pm. For a while I closed my laptop and took a walk to the office cafeteria. With a cup of coffee and a sandwich, I took my usual table and looked outside the window. The cars are all like little ants running behind each other. The fourth lane was full of trucks. Here everything runs. People, Cars, Machines, Shares, Money, in fact everything in the world today just runs! Run! I grimed at myself for not having born in the previous century. Life would have been more peaceful.
Within few days, things started to become much more normal. Once in a while Asha mentioning about the grieving family. I behaved as if I did not listen to her. But inside me, there started a vacuum and a sense of guilt. May be I could have changed the things for her. May be I could have handled issues differently. May be, may be , may be- I got wild at myself for this May be!. Sometimes, just like the ship wrecks, few broken bridges also haunt for life. My broken bridge is no different.

No comments: