Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Broken Bridge - Part 6 and Final

After 2 years of that important conversation that turned our lives altogether is when I received the most unexpected phone call. About her untimely death.
Just before a month of the tragedy, she called me. Telling me about her failing health and the kind of fear that is engulfing her progress in everything in life. She sounded depressed and lost. I have never seen Sindhu being so low and talking about failure, depression and death. First time in life, she was telling me on the arrangements she made for her family back in India and about her property and other things in Germany. I gave her my usual motivational speech, guaranteed her that things will fall in place and she would get better and back to track in life. Once again, I called her to come back to India. This time, Asha joined me in calling her back home. Sindhu promised us that she would come back very soon.
Many times after that distressed call, me and Asha used to talk about Sindhu. Never did we expected that she would come so soon, but this time, wrapped up in a casket. My mind is so heavy and the cars in the distance from where I had been watching them all this while look so tiny to me. Somewhere in the distance I could hear an aeroplane zooming above the building. I wished I took the next flight to Frankfurt. I know I have no reason to do so anymore. The words of Sindhu echoed in my ears. " Asha, I know I need Bala in life. He has become almost everything to me and I also know that it will be equally difficult for me to live without him. But let me tell you the truth. He can never be my husband. Sometimes, you need some people in life, just for what they are and not because what you want them to be in life for you. I am a person who can accept the reality and move on. When I came to India with Bala, one thing that I realised. For me to have his support and emotional bonding, I don't need a commitment called marriage. All I need is an understanding of you that Bala to me is a mentor, guide and a strength who cares for me and helps me to remove my mental blocks to move on with life. As long as you don't suspect our relationship and understand the beautiful bondage of two friends, we don't need to change anything in our lives the way we are living today. I promise you, I had not been his wife anytime. He had been my shoulder to lean on from the day one. If you could accept and be a part of this unique bonding, I think I am all set to go back". I remember Asha suddenly going and embracing Sindhu and giving her a big hug. Later that night, I asked Sindhu, what made her change her decision. She replied, "Asha needs you more than me!". She went back to Frankfurt taking my promise that I would not go there anymore. She broke my bridge! This time for ever!

No comments: