Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Broken Bridge - Part 4

Asha and kids wanted to come with me on my business trip to Germany. It was summer time for children and I was not able to give them enough time during the last few years and don't remember taking them on a long holiday. So thought I can make this trip a combined one with professional objectives and pleasure time with the family too. After completing my usual work in office, I drove down to the Hotel Hilton. Kids were waiting for me and quickly changed to my casuals and picked the fishing rods and sand castle stuff. Asha commented that sometimes I behave more worse than the kids.... I laughed. Yeah, she is right. After 4 hours in the beach and having good Mexican food on the way back, return to retire in our rooms.
As the night clicked its wings across the black canopy dazzling in a twilight of stars, I could not sleep. My restlessness was new and my intuition was going strong back to my old memories. Slowly I moved away from Asha and kids, and started to walk in the lobby of the lighted Hilton in the night.
I could not believe my eyes when a woman walked into the lobby with her travel bags and was checking into the hotel where I stayed. This is the woman whom I know so well. Never thought that after 3 years I would meet her again. " Sindhu.........." I gave a call in the most slightest voice possible. She turned and gave me a surprise look. " Bala!... Oh,what a pleasant surprise. I never thought we would meet again." So did I. I asked her about her husband and child and her work. Sitting opposite to me in the lobby, she did not speak. Her eyes conveyed her loneliness and betrayal. "Its all over! " She said. I could not ask her more. As she checked into their new hotel room, I also went in with her. Suddenly, she turned and hugged me tightly and cried. I did not stop her. An old friend lending a shoulder to shed the tears. I felt so lifted being able to stand beside her and solace her.
It was in the morning, when I introduced Asha to Sindhu. Sindhu was happy to see my daughter and son and joined us in the long drives and picnics in the same week. Asha initially raised so many questions as to why Sindhu is moved to a hotel, where she is working and what happened to her family and so on. I could not reply to her for I myself do not have those answers. Sometimes, silence is better when words may hurt people's thoughts.
After15 days, of both business and holidaying, it was time for us to return to India. Loads of shopping, memories captured in pictures, and tokens of the places we visited made kids and Asha very excited. Inside me started a train of thoughts on how to leave Sindhu and go back. Made an attempt telling her to come back and start life all over again. She refused, this time, the one decision I expected from her.
Sindhu came to airport to see us off. This time, I found her face brightened up. There are no traces of dejection or a battle in life that she is undergoing. After the flight took off from Frankfurt, it flashed in my head on what made Sindhu look afresh. A new hope. A hope that emerged from my interaction with her. I know, that very soon, I am coming back to Frankfurt.

No comments: