The ray of hope will give them the required courage to fight back the odds of life and not to end the life. The path to recovery can be sometime fast or sometimes longer than expected.
Making the person understand that suicide is not the solution and it is a cowardly act will make them think before taking the big step. Making them understand the impacts that suicide will have on their family and dependents will also give them a thought process that is necessary.
How to help a family member or friend who talks about suicide or have attempted the same before?
· Positive talk on good things in life
· Showing love and care
· Asking questions that can identify their mental strength
· Making them comfortable talking openly about their feelings.
· Tell them stories of positive people who overcame difficulties
· Always be there for extending your helping hand
· Give them the comfort to express their anger and frustration
· Talk openly on failures or rejections
· Freedom to write and express their hurt, betrayals, dejection and bad moods
Unfortunately in India, apart from the visible signs of depression, there are several other socioeconomic conditions that push people to commit suicide. The growing number of farmer’s suicide is a sheer startling evidence to this fact. Unless as a society and government, we have reforms that would eradicate abject poverty, social pressure and economical down swing we will be mourning the deaths of those who feed us.
Show compassion, save lives….
Love is the only medicine that can heal any pain ……